Updated: Nov 13, 2022
First step to fighting depression is knowing its there.
Some signs of depression are:
1. Feelings of sadness, tearfulness,
emptiness or hopelessness
2. Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration over the smallest thing
3. Loss of interest or pleasure in most or all normal activities
4. Sleep disturbances such as insomnia or over sleeping
4. Fatigue and lack of energy
5. Reduced appetite & weight loss or increased appetite and weight gain
6. Anxiety, agitation or restlessness
7. Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
8. Feelings of worthlessness, guilt or shame,
9. Trouble with thinking, concentrating, making decisions and remembering things
10. Thoughts of death, suicide or suicide attempts
11. Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches
Some things to do to help fight off depression are
1. Recognition. Recognizing what’s normal vs what’s not is the first key to fighting depression
2. Prayer. Prayer is one of the most powerful weapons we have against any and everything we face.
3. Crying. Stop holding stuff in!! Yea sure crying makes you soft but God makes you strong! And yea sure it may seem like crying does nothing but the Word tells us God understands our tears so believe it or not crying is like calling up God and sharing all of your problems without uttering a word.
4. Music. Music is therapeutic. It is clinically shown to improve your mood. What you choose to listen to is totally up to you. If you’re in the mood for some gospel- go for it! If you feeling a little edgey- that works too! All I would suggest is not turning to something or someone depressive like Mary J Blige (no offense to Mary because really I love her; it’s just I realized most of songs enable depression not necessarily heal it)
4. Spend time with family. God has a way of using those closest to us to send an extra dose of love your way during the times when you need it the most.
5. Fruit. I don’t know what it is about it, but for some reason, fruit brings joy to my heart and has been clinically proven to aid in healing depression.
6. Talk. Talk to someone about what you are feeling. Even if you feel nothing at all, tell someone about it. God can use ANYONE to bring about healing. Not everyone can get through depression on their own so call up a friend or call up a therapist just as long as you're calling up someone!
7. Last but not least- NEVER STOP PRAYING!
Restore my mind today O’ God . Heal me from my depression.